Friday, July 21, 2017

Not Being an Anorak

I will start today by giving the following disclaimer.

'I AM NOT AN ANOARK! I may take an interest in slightly obscure subjects, but I am not obsessive about things.'

Everyday on my walk to the station I pass many different manhole covers set into the road and pavement. 

These cover all different types of services, Water mains, fire mains, optical fibre internet, electricity, gas and phones. It is the phones that are the most interesting as each is marked with whatever the current name and Logo is for the company running the service

I think the oldest cover is this one 


It is branded as Post Office telegraphed. 




These three are all branded as Post Office Telephones


Next in age looks to be this cover branded GPO and has the number 65 on it which I think may have been the year of manufacture.

Next is this one.


Branded PO and what may be a date of 1972

Next comes this


With the Telecom logo with the morse signal for T making up the bar of the 'T' in the logo. This could be dated to 1987

Finally these covers


Branded BT and possibly dated 2002 and 2017.

AsI said at the start I am not obsessive about this, its just I find it interesting to have all this history at my feet on a short walk to the station.

No comments:

Sunset Margaretting

 A nice sunset but full moon stayed behind the clouds.